Oral Hygiene Tips for Starting Good Habits Young: Periodontist Tennessee
When it comes to lasting oral health, prevention is by far the best plan. Teach your children good dental habits early in life, and they will reap the benefits for years to come. Some children are very uncomfortable with having a toothbrush in their mouth, and will fight or scream. It may take a lot of patience to make sure your child has clean teeth, but it’s particularly important for young teeth to be cleaned every day. The enamel of baby teeth is thinner than on adult teeth, so problems can arise more quickly if brushing is skipped. Here are some tips for making those habits fun.
- Make it a game- be creative! Children are easily bored, but are much more willing to learn and participate when they are having fun. Sing a toothbrush song; make up a dance, or anything else your children will enjoy.
- Use a reward system- let your child earn a point for each time they brush their teeth without complaint, and if they have earned enough points at the end of the week, give them a small prize or do a fun reward activity.
- Try brushing while your child has a distraction, like when your child is watching a video or listening to favorite music.
- Use online resources, like the videos at aquafresh.com/aquafresh-kids
- Teach your child about the dentist- Many pediatric dentists will let you have a tour of the office and let your children see the instruments, chair, and lights before their first appointment. Being familiar with the space and routine beforehand can reduce the anxiety.
- Ask your child if you can film their first dentist visit because a “friend” of yours is scared of going to the dentist and needs to watch how brave your child is.
At Carter Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, we are a periodontist Tennessee team that want to see healthy gums and happy smiles. Prevention, while the best medicine, is not always enough. We have the tools and expertise to rectify damage to teeth and gums. Contact our office to make an appointment.