Bad Breath and Natural Fresheners
Nobody likes having bad breath or smelling bad breath. It can take the enjoyment right out of a conversation. We don’t often have the chance to duck into the bathroom and brush our teeth and many of the breath fresheners on the market have an overabundance of sweeteners that can cause tooth decay more quickly. At Carter Periodontics and Implant Dentistry in Tennessee, our Clarksville TN dentist has come up with some natural solutions though, some that you may already have in your kitchen:
- Mint. Chewing on a few raw mint leaves is a quick and natural alternative to those candy mints. Mint tea is also a great option.
- Parsley. Parsley has a nice spicy zest to it that is great after a meal. It has an enzyme that helps rid your mouth of odor-causing particles left behind from foods like garlic and onions.
- Coriander. If mint and spice aren’t your favorite, coriander has a great fresh lemon flavor.
- Cardamom Pods. You don’t want to swallow cardamom pods, but chewing on one for a few minutes can help get rid of bad breath.
- Cinnamon. While you can chew on whole sticks of cinnamon, our favorite is to make some tea. Plus, if you add some cardamom, you’ve got the beginnings of a simple chai tea.
- Anise Seeds. This is a strong herbal remedy, so a little bit goes a long way. These little seeds leave a taste like black licorice that lasts for a long time.
You can also soak wood toothpicks into the natural spice extracts, let them dry and suck on these to freshen your breath and pick out those pepper grinds or spinach leaves from dinner. But be careful not to swallow them or leave them around for children to swallow. And, as we described above, many of these deliciously freshening herbs can be steeped in tea.
And remember, just because your breath is temporarily freshened, doesn’t mean your mouth is clean. Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice daily and floss once, to keep your smile bright and healthy. Visit our Clarksville TN dentist at Carter Periodontics at least every six months for cleanings and check-ups. Click here or call us today at (913) 614-6603 to schedule your appointment.