Velscope Vx Oral Cancer Screening: Clarksville TN Dentist
The VELscope is a handheld device that scans your mouth using “natural tissue florescence visualization.” In simple terms, we shine a light with a specific frequency in your mouth, and if you have an infection or an abnormal section of tissue, it will light up a different color than the healthy tissue. Non-invasive and effective, the VELscope has been cleared by the FDA to reveal such abnormalities as:
- Infections (viral, bacterial, or fungal)
- Squamous Papillomas (masses that are generally benign, but can cause pain or interfere with eating, and are usually caused by the Human Papiloma Virus HPV)
- Allergy to fillings or other substances (the VELscope detects inflammation)
- Salivary Gland Tumors (may be difficult to see with only visual exam)
- Cancer and Pre-Cancerous cell masses that might be too small to notice otherwise
Oral cancer, classified with head and neck cancer, is the 6th most common cancer category. While it does not receive an outpouring of media attention, oral cancer is a legitimate danger. As with all cancers, early detection is key for a favorable outcome. However, oral examinations have historically only included a visual exam, which is not the most effective way to find small irregularities in cell growth.
While the VELscope alone cannot diagnose oral cancer, it highlights areas for further investigation and biopsy, in which conclusive results may be determined. This simple method combined with your regular annual exam will be more effective at finding oral health concerns.
At Carter Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, we are a Clarksville TN dentist team that strives to provide the highest level of service to our patients, and this includes using the latest developments in technology. Ask about our VELscope screening at your next procedure, particularly if you have any elevated risk factors like prior family history of cancer or gum disease, tobacco use, or alcohol use. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.